Disney

Disney

Thursday, February 12, 2015

Be Careful What You Wish For With Disney's Into The Woods

    Disney entered into a new type of movie with the adaptation of Sodheim's musical Into the Woods. This fairytale which is a combination of many beloved stories, called for a different marketing and distribution approach. This included early announcements of the adaptation to audiences that reached to theater fans as well as Disney fans. Disney also released trailers early on in the films' journey to the big screen. The big name actors and actresses including Meryl Streep, hyped up the films expectations that much more. Additionally, by choosing Christmas as its release day, it had many families marking their calenders in advance. According to The Hollywood Reporter, "This twisty fairy-tale mash-up shows an appreciation for the virtues of old-fashioned storytelling, along with a welcome dash of subversive wit."
    Disney not only captured the beloved fairy-tale musical, but also made a film that will go into the Disney legacy as a high quality artistic piece. With a distribution and marketing plan that circled the globe, this film will be popular for many years to come. With Disney's first musical film adaptation, I do not doubt there will be many more to come.

References:
'Into the Woods': Film Review. (n.d.). Retrieved February 12, 2015, from http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie/woods/review/758611

1 comment:

  1. I have not seen the film yet but I am dying to. You can't even imagine how many times I've seen commercial advertisements for this movie. I was really excited about the cast list because they consist of some of my favorite actors and actresses like Meryl Streep, Anna Kendrick, Johnny Depp, and Chris Pine. I've seen lots of videos and photos, and the art direction is amazing! I love the costumes and settings that were used for the film from what I can tell from the previews I've seen. This is definitely on my list to watch.

    ReplyDelete